The Brexton was constructed in 1881 for Samuel Wyman and designed by Charles Cassell. Originally built as a residential hotel, it is in the Queen Anne style and constructed of Baltimore-pressed brick and Scotch sandstone. There exists some structural steel, and it contains a pentagonal elevator shaft, probably originally serving a steam elevator. From the Baltimore Sun, supplement, November 22, 1881:A very handsome improvement is being made on the property bounded by Eager street, Tyson street, Fulton alley and Tyson alley for Mr. Samuel G. Wyman, consisting of a block of eight rowhouses, four of three stories and four of four stories, and one apartment house containing three apartments, fronting on the east side of Park avenue 183 feet and running back to Fulton alley. An apartment house fronting 43 feet on Eager street, containing eight apartments and a six-story building to be known as Hotel Brexton, fronting on Park avenue 93 feet, on Tyson street 72 feet and on Tyson alley 61 feet, containing about fifty rooms, with well lighted and ventilated halls and easy stairways and passenger elevator. A fire escape will be so located on the south side of the building as to give a safe means of escape should the stairways located on the north end be impassable in the event of the building being burned. The fronts are of picturesque outline, built of Baltimore pressed brick laid in red mortar, ornamented with panels and mouldings of moulded brick and Scotch sandstone, with handsome doors and windows, in which tinted glass is used with good effect. The interiors are well arranged, particular attention being paid to the ventilation, no room being without direct sunlight. The woodwork is handsomely stained and polished, the mantels of hardwood, those in the principal rooms combining French plate mirrors and ornamented shelves for the reception of pottery, plaques and other ornaments. The walls are papered with handsome gilt and grounded papers, and all the other work is in harmony with modern ideas of house decoration. It has been suggested that the corner lot; at present unimproved, be highly ornamented and a bronze statue of Lord Baltimore set up in it if the funds can be raised for the purpose. Mr. Charles E. Cassell was the architect.
Several years ago, another ground noticed the Brexton. This is their take on it:
The Museum of Subjectivity